Prince Salm-Dyck

written on Nov 22, 2020

Joseph Franz Maria Anton Hubert Ignatz Fürst und Altgraf zu Salm-Reifferscheidt-Dyck (1773-1861) was born in Schloss Dyck, Germany. He was the owner of the castle located in the Rhineland, and was generally referred to simple as Prince Salm-Dyck. In 1800, he started building glass-houses in the castle for collecting succulents. By 1835 he had one of the finest collection in Europe.

Salm-Dyck’s contributions to Haworthia are not very significant, as he passively accepted the names from others like Willdenow, Haworth, De Candolle and Jacquin. His most impressive work was the Monographia Generum Aloes et Mesembryanthemi (1836-1863), which consisted of lithographed and partially colored plates, among which 56 plates were dedicated to Haworthia.